Looking for how to get rid of smelly armpits, well you are in the right place. Below are ways of dealing with Underarm odor at home, stop bad armpit smell permanently, fast, and control that fishy smell from your underarms. Several people suffer from this condition and it is okay to deal with it and the good news is that you can stop that foul body odor with the right care.
Smelly armpits are not necessarily caused by poor body hygiene – it is important to begin by first understanding this important factor. In most cases, they are brought about by hormone or land factors. The body odor caused by smelly armpits is always as unappealing to the person suffering from the condition just as it is to those who surround him or her.
Body odor becomes evident when individuals do not start to take measures early—the best time to do this is before puberty. In females, this is between the ages of fourteen and sixteen, while in their male counterparts, it happens between the ages of fifteen and seventeen years.
- A person, who is obese, regularly partakes in foods that are spicy, or a person suffering from a particular medical condition like diabetes will be more susceptible to having body odor.
- In addition, if you sweat too much – and suffer from hyperhidrosis, there is a chance that you will be suffering from smelly armpits.
- Body odor is not always a bad thing as it can in some cases be nice, and has a specific scent that is attached to each person. Animals such as dogs in identifying people can then use the specific.
The specific scent that is unique to each person is often influenced by factors such as medication, health, diet, and gender.
When body odor is present, you will find that two acids will most likely be present. They include:
- Propanoic acid – is commonly found in sweat
- Isovaleric acid – is another common source of body odor and is found in all the different cheese types that happen to be very strong.
- What Causes Body Odor and Smelly Armpits?
- How to Get Rid of Smelly Armpits and Body Odor at Home
- Smelly Armpits Treatment
What Causes Body Odor and Smelly Armpits?
As it turns out, there are a few causes of body odor, which cannot be eliminated by washing, scrubbing, or the use of deodorants.
Chemically speaking, there are very many different types of sweat. Of all the different types that are available, the stinkiest of them all is the one associated with stress.
This is because it is produced by the apocrine glands which produce a less watery sweat, allowing the bacteria to go crazy for the proteins and the fat present in the mix.
The feeding frenzy by the bacteria is what causes the release of this odor. According to YouBeauty, “the sweat from your workouts is mainly composed of electrolytes and water”
2. You have Stinky Feet
For bacteria, that same buffet of proteins and fats is what happens with the sweat produced by your feet. this translates directly to your what causes your smelly armpits. look at it this way.
- Given that your foot is tucked away in an environment that is warm, dark, and moist, they will more than likely help in nurturing bacteria – especially when you do not wear socks.
However, you will also find that between ten to fifteen percent of people globally have feet that are extra sweaty, and which have been caused by their genetics.
3. You Have Very Few Bras
Ladies, how often do you wash that bra that you love wearing? Some women over wear their bras, and this in return leads to them under washing them, mainly because they have very few bras that are a perfect fit.
Given that the bra is made from a lacy material, and definitely, touches your skin in many areas that are sweat prone, you will need to make sure that you wash it more often because neglecting to do so could lead to smelly armpits.
You have probably come across studies that suggest eating diets that are rich in onions and garlic can end up stinking your mouth. Well, this is true.
The foods that are really smelly are often broken down into smelly compounds, which then circulate your bloodstream before coming out through your urine and sweat.
However, onions and garlic are not the only offenders as broccoli also falls into the same category.
5. You Have Been Drinking
Even though it is not possible to sweat off that hangover after a drinking spree, you will find that you can sweat out the booze when you have been drinking.
As the alcohol goes through your blood and circulates your entire body, there are some that will seep out through the pores that are present, and some will come out through your breath.
Often, it will not matter on the type of alcohol that you have consumed as immediately your body begins to break it down, it all starts smelling in the same manner.
6. You Have Diabetes
When diabetes goes untreated, you may start to experience something known as diabetic ketoacidosis.
- When the body lacks sufficient insulin, it starts breaking down the fat present in your body so as to get fuel, and this will lead to an increase in the number of ketones that are present in your body.
According to Mayo Clinic, “the buildup of ketones will start producing changes in your body odor, and maybe an indication that you need to see your doctor”.
Some people may also report a change in their body odor when they switch their diets from one heavy in meat to those low in carbs.
Low carb diets have been known to influence the smell coming from your mouth greatly.
How to Get Rid of Smelly Armpits and Body Odor at Home
Mild body odor is occasionally normal. However, unpleasant or excessive body odor may at times be a cause of major discomfort for others, and could also be embarrassing to you.
Unpleasant and strong odors especially underarm odor often come out from your body when the sweat glands have become overactive.
Smelly armpits can be treated at home by following these remedies:
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda is one ingredient that helps in absorbing moisture from your skin. The soda plays an active role in absorbing the sweat produced by the sweat glands, and in the process reduces your body odor.
Additionally, it also helps in killing bacteria present on your skin surface. Below is how to use it at home.
- Mix a single tablespoon of lemon juice and a single tablespoon of baking soda. Ensure you apply it to the underarms to help deal with the smelly armpits.
- Once you apply the baking soda, you should make sure that you leave it on your armpits for a few minutes before proceeding to wash it off with water
- It is recommended not to scrub the area.
- After doing this, you should then take a shower or a bath, and be sure to repeat the baking soda application daily for the next few weeks.
- Alternatively, you can take equal amounts of cornstarch and baking soda and combine them
- Once mixed, take this mixture and be sure to apply it directory onto your underarms when they are dry. It will help in preventing underarm odor, and in the process reducing body odor.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is not only readily available in most houses, but it also happens to be a very powerful bacteria-fighting ingredient. It will help in eradicating smelly armpits by balancing the pH levels that are present on your skin.
Here is how to use it at home to stop underarm odor:
- Take a piece of cotton ball and soak it in this solution before proceeding to apply it to your underarms.
- After applying it, you will need to wait for at least two to three minutes before you can take a shower
- Ensure you follow this apple cider vinegar remedy two times each day. Once every morning, and in the evening before you can go to sleep
- Alternatively, you can take a single cup of apple cider vinegar and add it to your lukewarm bathing water.
After adding it to your water, you will need to ensure you soak in the water for at least ten minutes each day
3. Lemon Juice
The juice is excellent for treating smelly armpits. It contains acidic properties, which play an important role in lowering the pH levels of your skin, and this, in turn, makes it difficult for the bacteria present in it to survive. Below is how to use it.
- Take a freshly picked lemon and cut it into two halves. Take one-half of the lemon and proceed to apply it to the underarms.
- When rubbing your underarms, you will need to let the juice get onto your skin. From here, you need to make sure that it dries on its own before taking a shower
- This remedy should be followed once each day until the odor of the smelly armpits is gone forever
Rosemary is a home ingredient that has been known to help in neutralizing the bacteria that causes smelly armpits.
Rosemary comes with chlorophyll and menthol, both properties contain natural deodorant properties, which will help in neutralizing the smelly armpits and in lending a nice fragrance to the body.
It also comes rich in zinc, which when deficient in the body may lead to a body odor.
Here is how to use it at home:
- Take a half cup of hot water and add another half cup of dried rosemary leaves
- You should allow this mixture to steep for at least ten minutes before adding it to your bathing water
- Ensure you soak in the bathwater for between fifteen and twenty minutes
- After the bath, pat your skin dry and repeat the remedy daily
- For those who feel irritation after using rosemary, they should immediately discontinue using it
Sage is a delightfully fragrant herb that may be used in combating smelly armpits. It reduces the activity of your sweat glands and is an antibacterial agent, which helps prevent bacteria from thriving on your skin
Here is how to use it:
- Take a natural deodorant of sage essential oil and distill it with witch hazel.
- Alternatively, you could take a pinch of dried sage and add it to four cups of warm water before allowing it to steep for at least ten minutes
- Once your solution has cooled, you will need to use it to rinse your underarms
- Make sure to repeat this process for at least two times each day
It is important to note that a woman who is pregnant or a woman who is nursing a young child cannot use sage
6. Witch Hazel
It has the capability to lower the pH levels of your skin, therefore making it impossible for the bacterium that causes smelly armpits and body odor to thrive.
Additionally, it also comes with astringent properties that help in contracting the skin pores, and in the process reducing the sweat production process.
Here is how to use it:
- Take a single cotton ball and soak it into some witch hazel
- Take the cotton ball and use it to wipe your underarms to do away with smelly armpits
- You should repeat this solution whenever you sense your body begin to smell
- It often works as an antiperspirant
7. Tea Tree Oil
This is another home ingredient, which contains both antiseptic and antibacterial properties, which are vital in helping kill any bacteria that is present on your skin, and in the process eliminating smelly armpits
Given the fact that it is also an astringent, it will help control sweating, therefore reducing body odor.
Here is how to use it:
- Take some drops of tea tree oil and add them to tablespoons of water
- Take this solution and place it in a spray bottle before proceeding to use it as a deodorant
They contain antibacterial properties, which are vital in killing the bacteria that cause smelly armpits. Additionally, they are also a good source of nutrients and vitamin C, which will help in fighting body odor.
How to use it at home:
- Take two turnips and chop them into fine pieces before placing them in a blender
- The paste made from grinding the turnips should be sieved to extract the juice
- Take the turnip juice and apply it to your underarms to deal with the smelly armpits
- Provide it with sufficient time for it to dry before you can rinse it using lukewarm water
- You should repeat this remedy each morning to help keep your body free from body odors
- Alternatively, you can consider including turnips in your everyday diet.
Smelly Armpits Treatment
Diagnosing Body Odor in many of the cases dealing with smelling armpits or body odor, it is not always mandatory to visit a GP. The individuals themselves will be able to tell whether they have body odor, and may in some cases be informed by friends, or members of their families.
1. Self Care Advice
The armpits in the human body contain very many apocrine glands. These are the glands that cause body odor.
Ensuring your armpits are clean and free of bacteria helps in making sure that your body will not suffer from smelly armpits
The following advice will help in achieving this:
- Make sure to take a warm shower each day. It helps in killing all the bacteria that are present on your skin surface. For those days that are extra hot, you need to ensure your bath twice each day.
- When bathing, ensure you wash your armpits thoroughly to get rid of the odor of the smelly armpits. You should use antibacterial soap when bathing.
- Always make sure that you wear clean clothes, and that dirty clothes are often washed.
- Reduce the number of spicy foods consumed on any given day. It is vital to reduce your intake of garlic and curry as they make the sweat produced by your glands to smell, thus leading to smelly armpits.
2. Antiperspirant and Deodorant
The active ingredients contained in deodorants often differ, as there are some that contain more ingredients than the rest.
The antiperspirants do their job by masking their smell through the use of their perfumes. They contain aluminum chloride, which plays an active role in reducing the total amount of sweat that is produced by your body at any given time.
3. Botulinum injection
This is normally recommended for people with severe or chronic hormonal odors that affect the armpits. About twelve injections are done on the armpits and are considered to keep off the bad smell from the armpits for up to eight months.
For severe body odor, surgery could be recommended, especially when the smelly armpits cannot be treated by following the home remedies described above.
The most common type of surgery is the one where an area of your skin is removed from your armpits, as well as from the underlying tissue. The area that is removed will help in reducing the number of troublesome sweat glands that are present.
- Liposuction could also be used to draw out the sweat glands that are located in the inner layers of the skin. Liposuction is a technique that is often used when removing the unwanted fat from your body.
- ETS is another type of surgery used in removing troublesome sweat glands. The surgeon will use keyhole surgery in destroying all the nerves that cause sweating.
- During this particular surgery, three small incisions will be made below each arm. A small camera will then be inserted through one incision allowing the surgeon to see what is happening under your armpit from his monitor.
- Small surgical tools are then inserted through the other incisions and then used to cut the nerves.
Before considering surgery, it is recommended that you first begin by trying out the home remedies discussed above. You can use one remedy, or a combination of remedies to help eliminate the smelly underarms odor, and in the process ensure that you will no longer feel embarrassed when out in public.